Menthya Rasam - BM#13 - Week 2 - Day 7:
Yesterday was the last day of BM#13, yep this time i am late by a day in posting. I will definitely catch up with other marathoners from next time.
As I told you earlier Rasam is a healthy fluid which helps in digestion.
Ingredients for Menthya Rasam:
- Tamarind - a small lemon size
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 3
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - few pinches
- Chopped tomatoes - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Salt - to taste
- Jaggery - a small sized one
- Cooked Toor Dhal - 1/2 cup
- Soak the tamarind in water for an hour and then extract its thick juice.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry fenugreek seeds to slightly brown remove it and keep it aside.
- In the same oil fry green chillies and then blend them with roasted fenugreek seeds
- Heat a little oil in a kadai and when mustard seeds splutters add asafoetida, tomatoes, and turmeric power and fry well under medium fire until the tomatoes are well mashed.
- Add the tamarind extract, the grounded powder, chopped coriander, curry leaves, with enough salt and water.
- When the above mixture boils add cooked toor dhal and allow the mixture to boil.
- When it boils take it out and serve it with rice.
Medicinal value of fenugreek: Arthritis has a low incidence rate in India where a lot of fenugreek is consumed. Drinking 1 cup of fenugreek tea per day, made from the leaves, is said to relieve the discomfort of arthritis.
Here is a summary of 7 days rasam prepared by me:
Day 1 - Jeera Rasam
Day 2 - Inji Rasam
Day 3 - Pulichaar
Day 4 - Belluli Saaru
Day 5 - Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) Rasam
Day 6 - Red Lenthils Rasam
Day 7 - Menthya Rasam
Just a note: If you would have read rasam which I had posted for 7 days (including this one), then definitely you know the main ingredients in rasam are the following:
a. Tomato and/or Tamarind or anything which adds sour taste
b. Rasam Powder or Pepper-Cumin Seeds Powder - 2
e. Ginger and/or Garlic
A slight variation in this would result you in different types of rasam.
Rasam Powder: Dhals + Pepper + Cumin Seeds + Red Chillies
(i will post the recipe soon)
Pepper - Cumin Seeds Powder: As the name says blend pepper and cumin seeds coarsely and add it to rasam instead of Rasam Powder.