Crispy Potato Poriyal:
I had bookmarked this since a long time from Yummy Tummy by Aarthi.
Potato is an herb. It’s a nick name of my little son, Aadya also. I have named my first son as Aditya and nick name is Tomato because when he was born he was very pink. My little one when he was born was black in color due to breathing problem. Later on he turned to be wheatish brown same as Potato color. When I said this to his dad, he named me as Toyota, my elder son who was studying Science text book (III Standard) he named my hubby as Stomato. Thus is our family :)
I am addicted to Potato like most of the South Indians. They love to add it in their main dishes viz., Sambar, poriyal. Especially for masala dosa this is a must in South India. Instead of the same traditional poriyal I tried a crispy version and thanks to my family they just had it along with rasam rice.
- Steamed Potato (cut into desired shapes) – 200 gms
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Cilantro/coriander leaves – few (for garnishing)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2tbsp
- Put oil into the kadai (preferably non-stick because it would not require more oil and oil spreads it makes potatoes crispier). I have used my cooker.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add curry leaves
- Add salt let it get dissolved
- Add chopped potatoes into the kadai and leave it to get crispier
- Mix well in between, add turmeric and mix again
- Sprinkle Red Chilli Powder on top of the potatoes and mix well
- Garnish cilantro on top of it just before removing the poriyal/curry from the stove
I am happy to send this post to Midweek Fiesta - #9 by Amy at Food Corner.